The following biographies of local businessmen /residents come from the Dec.11th, 1913, edition of the ‘Algiers Herald’
C. A. SUTHERLAND
The business has been successful from the start and the work now on hand and in sight is satisfactory in every respect. The work done by the SUTHERLAND Company in every job done must be the very best, as this requirement is fixed by Mr. SUTHERLAND himself and is invariably carried out to the letter.
When a mechanic for the Southern Pacific he was instructed to do the best he could and having followed that precept for others for so long a period, he now makes it an iron-clad rule for his own business.
Mr. SUTHERLAND occupies a prominent position in this community, both politically and socially.
He was an organizer of the Young Men’s Social and Benevolent Association of Algiers, created on Aug.7th, 1886. He was the association’s first secretary, and still retains that position, after nineteen years of faithful and well appreciated service. The association has done a great deal of practical good in Algiers and a large portion of the credit is due Mr. SUTHERLAND.
He is a past master of Sts. John Lodge No. 153 of the Free and Accepted Masons, and is also a member of Pelican Lodge No. 90 of the Mason’s Annuity Association.
Mr. SUTHERLAND is a solid and substantial man and a credit to the city. It is not much in the way of prophecy to assert that his standing will greatly increase in influence and importance as the years elapse.
This gentleman was born in McDonoghville on the 31st of December, 1865. He moved with his parents to Algiers in 1870 and has resided here ever since. Mr. SUTHERLAND’s mother, who died four years ago at the age of 75 years, was also born in McDonoghville and was personally acquainted with the philanthropist bearing that honored name.
Young SUTHERLAND attended the public schools in Algiers and obtained a good education in essential branches of learning. He went to work for the Southern Pacific railroad, known as the Morgan Line, in 1883, and was with that company for twenty-four years. He learned and followed the trade of ship steamfitter, plumber and sheet metal worker, one of the most exacting and technical trades in and about steamship construction.
In 1907 Mr. SUTHERLAND went in business for himself in his present location at 801 Pacific avenue. The business was incorporated at its inception as The C. A. SUTHERLAND Plumbing Co., Ltd., and that title is still retained, although Mr. SUTHERLAND now owns practically all of the company’s stock.
Alvin T. STUMPF
Mr. STUMPF is the president of the John STUMPF’s Sons Co., makers of the Hoodoo Ant Destroyer and other remedies. The plant is located in Gretna and is constantly growing in extent and output. The trade is growing so rapidly that plans for a new factory have already been prepared and work on the enlarged plant will be undertaken within a very short period.
Mr. STUMPF was born in New Orleans January 22, 1888. He was educated at the Jesuits College and afterwards graduated at the New Orleans College of Pharmacy. After completing his studies he went into the manufacturing business which had been established at an earlier period by his father. At the
death of the elder STUMPF, his entire management of the factory devolved upon the present president of the company. He has well fulfilled every call made upon
him and the business of the company has steadily grown. The United States Government uses the Hoodoo Ant remedy extensively and the demand for it grows
Besides being president of the manufacturing company, Mr. STUMPF is a director of the Gretna Exchange & Savings Bank and is interested in several other financial institutions. He is a wide-awake and aggressive young business man who is sure to take a prominent place in the commercial world before long.
Dr. Mark O. CAREY
This gentleman has made a record for himself which in a number of ways is without a parallel in this community. A graduate of the New Orleans Dental College, after his graduation Dr. CAREY determined to do what his friends tried to dissuade him from doing – to settle permanently in Algiers. Either six or seven dentists had tried to establish themselves in practice on this side of the river but in every case failed and moved away.
It remained for Dr. CAREY to easily accomplish what the others had ignominiously failed in. A young graduate right from his studies, he took up his professional work and made good in a very difficult field.
When the subject is studied it is not hard to determine why Dr. CARET succeeded where the other seven failed. His personal attributes are in a large measure responsible for his success. He is a natural-born gentleman in his manners toward his fellow men, and his conduct on all occasions, whether professional or social, is all that could be asked even from the highest walks in life. His professional attainments are of the most modern school in dentistry and his office appliances are the best and most complete obtainable.
Dr. CAREY married Miss Mary SCHRODER, one of Algiers’ most popular young women, and they make a fine couple.
The doctor’s homes and office at the corner of Alix and Bermuda streets is the scene of great activity and those who call upon him either professionally or socially are always extended a hearty welcome.
Dr. CAREY has prospered away beyond the expectations of his friends and acquaintances who prophesied failure.
That they were mistaken is evidenced by the facts. Dr. CAREY is the owner of the Suburban Drug Store, one of the best in Algiers. He owns one of the finest automobiles in the city and in every way is going forward in a manner that is extremely satisfactory to the community, as all who know him wish him the best of everything going. He is a member of several fraternal orders and also belongs to the Alhambra Gymnastic Club of our town.
The GOSSELIN Tract - A retrospective view of the horrors therein committed
The next article is not for the squeamish! But, it gives a good insight into the grizzly goings on from Algiers past...the "Good Old Days".
The tract of land between what is known as Verret and Vallette Streets, was formerly the plantation of Mrs. Bazille GOSSELIN. The family residence was about the site of where Gastelda FELIX now dispenses soda and fruit. In 1834 Mrs. GOSSELIN sold the portion between Olivier and Verret Streets to Jean B. OLIVIER. Some time after the balance of the tract she sold to a company consisting of J. B. BALLISTER, R. B. SUMNER and Bernard O’FALLON, the ground conveyed consisting of all the portion between Olivier and Vallette Streets. O’FALLON subsequently sold to John HUGHES for HUGHES, VALLETTE & Co., who caused the same to be surveyed and divided into town lots. The tract is now nearly all built on and considered the most valuable in our town for its central location and high ground.
Within this tract during the last half century have been committed murders most foul, suicides and deaths by accidents, enough to delight the hearts of the authors of "Beadles" ten cent novels, the "Boys own Pirates", a Sylvanius COBBS, "Red Avenger of the Plain". Other portions of our town no doubt, have stories equally as horrible as is proposed here to relate, and which in due time will also receive attention. One installment at present must suffice for to each.
In 1836 a saw mill stood where the VALLETTE Dry Dock office now is located (Vallette, corner of Patterson), Edward JANIN was the proprietor, the chains and log trucks extended out to Patterson Street. Mr. JANIN was in the habit of remaining on the log in the river and giving the signal to those at the windlass on shore to hoist away on the cradle. One fair day in April while thus engaged the log was chained and started, after a few minutes Mr. JANIN was missed, search was made and the unfortunate man was found crushed to death within the chain and the log where he had fallen unperceived by those on shore, after the signal had been
During the year 1840 a duel was fought on Olivier Street, near the present German church, between two cousins it is said. The sharp rapier pierced the heart of one, and while his lifeblood stained the surrounding sod his opponent fled the scene. After years of remorse he entered a monastery among the Alpine Hills, and devoted the balance of his life to scourges, prayers, sackcloth and ashes as a penance for the soul he untimely sent before his maker.
A score of years goes by, a brick edifice is built opposite the spot where JANIN met his unfortunate fate. It was only occupied a few months, when during the absence of the proprietor and his family across the lake, a French physician who had lately left his native land to seek his fortune in the new world, one Dr. KAUFFMAN, "shuffled off this mortal coil" by firing a bullet thro’ his heart and falling lifeless to the floor. He had been a passenger across the ocean on the "Arago", the first iron steamer of immense size that crossed the sea. The doctor was a highly educated gentleman and the failure to get successful practice at once in our midst so preyed upon him that it ended as I have stated, by taking his own life.
The last sad scene enacted in the same house, the identical same room, is but too vivid to the recollection of your readers - over the horror - let us draw the veil of oblivion - surely it originated in a mind diseased, not responsible.
Let us cross the street - go back to the wartimes of 1864 - when our town was crowded with soldiers. Joseph REY was the proprietor of a butcher shop in that
vicinity. One October morning on opening his door he discovered a young soldier on the banquette in front of his place with a bayonet through his heart. The
weapon had transfixed his body and embedded itself between the bricks beneath. His murderer was never discovered. Hardly a month had elapsed when Mary CARE, a handsome quadroon woman, the mistress of an employee on the Opelousas Railroad, residing in the same block back of Mr. GERARD’s blacksmith shop, was discovered dying in her bedroom with two fearful cuts. It is still a question whether her lover stabbed her in a fit of jealousy or not? Shortly afterwards she expired, no knife was found, but she to the last refused to tell who had so cruelly wronged her. It is believed, however, that she was killed by her
Next ensued in the same locality another suicide. The proprietor of a shoe store came down one morning and found one of his workmen hanging to a post with a rope around his neck "dead as a ducat" in a fit of mania potia he had taken his own life.
This portion of Algiers, the same square and next to the above premises, again is brought to view by another tragic event which filled the town with horror, and which is still fresh to the mind of the readers.
Michael Lawton MEADE, made his will on March 13th, 1876, and just four years afterwards to a month and day he was murdered in his room and his premises robbed. The thieves and murderers were subsequently discovered and a lifetime incarceration at hard labor is their doom.
In June 1873 there stood on the corner of Vallette and Peter (Pelican) Streets a two story house belonging to Capt. FOOTE, during the temporary absence of the family at night a lamp was overthrown, the building took fire and was completely destroyed. Two little colored children who had been left in the house were burned to death, a portion of their bones all charred and burnt was all that was left of them in the morning of burial. The frantic shriek of the mother will never be forgotten by those who then lived in the vicinity.
A few weeks since in your columns the writer told a tale of a "Singular Duel". This duel, strange to relate, was fought at the apex of Vallette and Verret Streets in the swamp within the GOSSELIN tract at its extreme point.
George SALVATO has lived 32 years in Algiers, as man and boy, and during that time his life has been like an open book, accessible to all who cared to know his character. He is still in the prime of life at 47 years of age and looks as though he would be on earth forty-seven years from the present time, barring accidents.
Mr. SALVATO was born in beautiful sunny Italy, and comes from a section that has furnished this country some of our best men. He was born May 31st, 1867, and came to this country in 1882, settling in New Orleans. His first business venture on his own account as in a meat and vegetable market at Elmira avenue and Eliza street. He was successful from the start and his progress has been steady since that time.
In 1901, on account of the market house law, Mr. SALVATO was compelled to move, and for a time did business at the corner of Evelina street and Pacific avenue.
Several years ago he moved to his present location at No. 527 Atlantic avenue, where he has enjoyed a steadily increasing trade. It would be difficult to name in this community a more substantial citizen than Mr. SALVATO. He is always willing and anxious to do more than his part in any undertaking which will be of benefit to this part of the city or in behalf of public or charitable work of any description.
Mr. SALVATO is a member of the Benevolent Association of St. Lucy of Algiers; a member of the Contessa Eutalina Society; a Druid; a Mason, and a member of the Woodmen of the World, and a member of the Alhambra Gymnastic Club.
He is in every respect a desirable and worthy citizen and one of whom the city could ill afford to lose, and we are not going to lose him.
John v. KRAMME Store
In the death of John V. KRAMME, something over five years ago, Algiers sustained a great loss.
Mr. KRAMME was a progressive and aggressive business man, always ready to take advantage of any circumstance which would prove to the advantage of this city and its people. He was cut off in the prime of life and his loss was felt keenly by the whole community.
At his death, Mr. KRAMME left a widow, Mrs. Daisy KRAMME, who for the past five years has conducted the business left by her husband at the corner of Elmira avenue and Evelina street. Taken suddenly, and without any training for the work, from her duties as wife and mother, Mrs. KRAMME took up the cares of a business life and during the time mentioned has sustained the part with great credit to herself.
The business, that of grocery and market, is one of the largest in the city, and the fact that its trade has steadily grown under the management of Mrs. KRAMME speaks volumes for her sagacity and energy.
She has kept up the stock in the best possible manner and she will allow nothing in the store which does not meet the strictest requirements of the National and State pure food laws.
All the standard and best brands of canned vegetables and fruits are always carried; nothing but the best being Mrs. KRAMME’s motto. The highest grades of coffee and teas that can be bought may be found here and at prices within the reach of all classes.
Mrs. KRAMME believes in doing business on a very close margin, knowing that if her customers are satisfied they will continue to trade with her.
Mr. HAAG is one of the most progressive and active men now engaged in business in this district.
His store at 838 Pacific avenue at the corner of Homer street is a good location for trade being only a short distance from the Southern Pacific railroad terminal grounds and in the center of a first-class neighborhood.
The HAAG grocery is the largest store in that vicinity and commands the patronage of the best class of people. The stock comprises the leading brands of canned goods, those which fully comply with all the requirements of the pure food laws of the United States and of Louisiana.
All staple goods like coffees, teas, cereals, dried fruits, sugar, etc., are best that may be obtained in any market.
Mr. HAAG also maintains a liquor department in his business in which the highest grade of liquors, wines, cigars, cigarettes and tobacco are kept.
Customers can be supplied with wines, liquors and bottled beer in any quantity they may desire and have the goods delivered to their homes.
Mr. HAAG’s store is the largest in that part of town and, as stated, carries by all odds the best goods in every department. His business methods are liberal and his prices always the lowest.
Personally, Mr. HAAG is a genial companionable man, who in the course of his career has made many close friends who regard his good will as a special mark of esteem and cherish it accordingly.
Henry S. WEBERT
Mr. WEBERT was born in Algiers, November 9th, 1885, consequently is now 28 years old.
He was educated in Algiers’ schools and after he finished took employment in his father’s store, where he remained for twelve years occupying various positions during the time mentioned. On the 12th of January, Mr. WEBERT went into business for himself at No. 736 Belleville street, the same location in which he still does business.
From a modest beginning the business has grown year by year and at the present time is in a very satisfactory and thriving condition.
Mr. WEBERT was married on June 9, 1909, at the Trinity Lutheran Church, to Miss Pearl VANDERLINDEN, the Rev. Fred. WAMBSGANSS performing the ceremony. There are two children.
Mr. WEBERT carries a full line of staple and fancy dry goods, notions and all articles connected with a first-class establishment of this character.
He also handles men’s and women’s furnishings, which may be bought on this side of the river at least ten per cent cheaper and better than they can be obtained on the other side.
Mr. WEBERT is an active man and is fully abreast of the times in everything that appertains to his trade. He is a good citizen and is liked and respected by the entire community.
He will be glad to have strangers call on him with the assurance on his part that all alike will be given honest treatment and good value in everything they purchase.